Thursday, March 11, 2010

Me and Volleyball

Volleyball....is what consumes most of my time, weekdays and weekends! I'm not complaining, because I LOVE VOLLEYBALL! It is my favorite sport, which says a lot, because I love sports!


One thing you may not know about me, is when I play volleyball, I have to wear a knee brace...ugh! Why, you may ask??? Eleven months ago, I was playing a friendly game of flag football with boys. One boy, who shall remain nameless, tackled me (in other words, took a cheap shot, when I wasn't looking!) My knee was knocked out of socket and my ACL snapped. I immediately knew something was wrong. It was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. After reconstructive surgery, I couldn't play sports for 6 loooooong months, which was really hard. You see, my freshman year of high school, I made the Varsity volleyball team, and I couldn't wait to return.

Two days after surgery, I started rehab. I went to rehab 3 times a week and hit the gym the rest of the time. At first, I cried through my entire exercises. The tears eventually stopped and I continue to get stronger. I also had a heart issue. I had a lot of anger towards the nameless boy. That was probably the hardest to get over.

After 6 months, I returned to volleyball, but now I wear a brace. I don't really mind, I'm getting use to it. It is a reminder to me, that things happen that we don't plan, or want, but you make it through, with lots of prayer and hard work. I'm so glad that I'm a work in progress.

(This is a picture of me, right when I returned to play. I was still figuring out how to bend my knee. )

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your knee, Tori. Glad that it has gotten better and hope it continues to.. It's so awesome that you play volleyball! I've played for a Chistian school for 4 years so far and it is also by far my favorite sport! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re so wise for your age! What a wonderful way to take something that was trying and turn it into something that makes you stronger.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete